Friday, January 6, 2017

Yonkers: City of Light, City of Magic

Tonight, on my way to work, I drove across town to visit the beautiful Untermyer Park, with its wonderful gardens. The walled garden of the park is currently hosting its Grand Illumination event, which will be going on through this coming Sunday.

The vista revealed upon entering the garden was glorious, with the reflecting pools having been swapped out for 'rivers' of light:




After entering, I approached the information booth and had a nice conversation with a member of the Irvington Garden Club, who took my donation and gave me a cup of hot cocoa to fortify myself for my garden stroll. A rotating roster of members of various local garden clubs has been staffing this event. I then returned to my inspection of the lights. The 'ruined' rotunda was lit with an austere white:




The sphinxes were dolled up for the occasion:




In the uncertain light, each possesses an aura of mystery, most appropriate for these most enigmatic of monsters:




The garden was suffused with loveliness, an air of enchantment quite different from the darker magical miasma which once clung to the park. I'm not a superstitious individual, and don't believe in occult hogwash, but as a high-schooler I visited this park with a couple of intrepid, smartass friends and the place was genuinely creepy. I can't imagine any adolescent getting a frisson of fear from this place anymore.

Post title taken from my favorite Randy Newman song.

3 comments:

jade said...

we're likely to suffer is a stiff back and swollen ankles. Fully packed, forest city

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Beautiful! Orbiriffic!
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

we're likely to suffer is a stiff back and swollen ankles. Fully packed, forest city

Ice packs are nice packs.

Beautiful! Orbiriffic!

It was a Garden of Orbs, to be sure, old chum.